Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Last Light - Restoration Series #1 - Terri Blackstock


I originally purchased this book because the book club at the nearby church had chosen it and I wanted to check it out... I will say this, I never read the Left Behind Series... I'm not a big fan of series which you'll hear me say often...and there is a good reason, which I'll explain later.

The premise of this book is captivating; it draws you in and won't let you loose until the wee hours. I truly enjoyed the originality of the scenario - which I did not see as cataclysmic but inconvenience on earth as the everyday normal things no longer work. Maybe it wasn't cataclysmic for me because I live on a farm and have for years... I know how to do a lot of things without "regular" conveniences and part of that is probably because I have always wondered how it was done before we got all high tech. That being said... it is easier to do without because you choose to and know that you can do with anytime you want... but when you have no power and no electronics what so ever and it is not a choice, WHOA! That would feel very different. This story explores that angle, everything, everywhere has stopped working. I was mesmerized by the storyline and the characters. The mystery that is a parallel plot is also engrossing. At times, a bit preachy for me... but still well worth your time.

Now, the reason I do not like books in a series is because they are almost always strung out so that we buy more books for the author... and that irritates me. This is one of those examples, when it was done I was like "seriously?" I would rather have it all tied into one LONG BIG NOVEL than have to buy 4 or 5 to get to the end. I feel ripped off. For that reason...even though I really want to know what happens...I'm still not sold on buying book #2. I'll keep you posted.


Here is the link to the novel on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Light-Restoration-Terri-Blackstock/dp/0310257670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318436155&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment